||Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute
||Temporary Full Time (1 year)
|HOURS OF WORK
||37.5 hours per week
ORGANIZATION OR DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION:
The Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute of Mount Sinai Hospital, a University of Toronto affiliated research centre, is one of the world's leading centres in biomedical research. With ground-breaking discoveries in research areas such as diabetes, genetic disorders, cancer and women’s and infants’ health, the Institute is committed to excellence in health research and the training of young investigators. Strong partnerships with the clinical programs of Mount Sinai Hospital ensure that scientific knowledge is used to promote human health. Your significant contributions will assist in maintaining our momentum in advancing our research.
We are currently looking for a Research Associate for the Schramek Lab (http://schramek.lunenfeld.ca)that would be responsible for performing complex laboratory procedures and experiments within our molecular biology wet lab as well as mouse colony management and animal experimentation. He/she will usually determine the next phase of testing and experimentation, as well as identify appropriate protocol and techniques. The Associate would be responsible for his/ her own project or assist the investigator in the initiation of new research. This a 12 month temporary position, with a potential opportunity of going permanent.
- Independently leads a research project within the group and/or may have specialized expertise or knowledge in molecular biology and ideally in large scale genetic screens.
- Determines next phase of testing/ experimentation, identifying appropriate protocol and techniques
- Generate and maintain cell cultures including primary cell culture and stable cell line generation as well as production of high-titter viral preparations.
- Performing molecular experiments, including PCR, cloning and transfection
- Perform protein analysis, including immunoblotting, immunoassay
- Perform data analysis
- Responsible for coordinating/ directing the work of others, including supervising and training students and post-doctoral fellows
- Collaborates with investigators on preparing research papers, grants, seminars, and presentations
- Must be reliable, organized, and flexible with ability to handle multiple activities reprioritize tasks.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s Degree with experience in a specialized area, PhD Degree in related field (preferred)
- A minimum of 5 years research laboratory experience.
- Experience in large scale genetic screens would be an asset
FUNCTIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be able to exercise good judgment, exercise considerable independence and take initiative
- Must possess exceptional communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) and be comfortable engaging and exchanging information with other members of the lab
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving abilities with strong attention to detail
- Experience with project management
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard software (e.g. LIMS, Microsoft Office Suite)
- Must demonstrate satisfactory work performance and attendance record
Posting open until April 21, 2017. We thank all candidates for applying. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with Institute’s policy and legislated health and safety requirements, employment is conditional upon the verification of credentials, completion of a health review, and demonstrating proof of immunity and vaccination status of vaccine-preventable diseases.
The Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute is a scent sensitive environment and all members of the community are expected to refrain from wearing or using scented products while visiting or working at the Institute. We also support a barrier-free workplace supported by the Institute’s accessibility plan, accommodation and disability management policies and procedures. Should you require accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, including accessible job postings, please contact the Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Human Resources Department.