||Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute
||Temporary Full Time (1 year)
|HOURS OF WORK
||37.5 Hours per week
ORGANIZATION OR DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION:
The Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute of Mount Sinai Hospital, a University of Toronto affiliated research centre, is one of the world's leading centres in biomedical research. With ground-breaking discoveries in research areas such as diabetes, genetic disorders, cancer and women’s and infants’ health, the Institute is committed to excellence in health research and the training of young investigators. Strong partnerships with the clinical programs of Mount Sinai Hospital ensure that scientific knowledge is used to promote human health. Your significant contributions will assist in maintaining our momentum in advancing our research. The Gingras lab is a world-class functional proteomics laboratory that develops experimental and computational tools to analyze protein-protein interactions in space and time. Recently-funded research investigates the role of signaling molecules in diseases, including cancers. More information about our group can be found at: gingraslab.lunenfeld.ca.
The technician will be required to perform moderately complex research activities. The Technician may be required to work on one main project or several smaller projects as assigned by the Investigator or her designate. The technician will support general laboratory organization and assist with molecular biology and cell biology. The management aspects include ordering, organizing the lab, maintaining the reagent databases, sending reagents, etc. The experimental work will mostly consist of cloning and generation of mammalian stable cell lines. The technician will work closely with other members of the Gingras laboratory and assist them in their projects.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operation of the laboratory.
- Perform routine maintenance, calibration and troubleshooting of laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Procure supplies and competitive quotes, organize and track supplies in laboratory
- Maintain inventory database of purchased reagents and of reagents generated by the laboratory (e.g. DNA constructs, cell lines)
- Send out reagents generated by the laboratory
- Perform standard subcloning experiments in a medium-throughput manner
- Generate mammalian stable cell lines
- Assist graduate students and post-doctoral fellows with priority experiments and projects.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- B.Sc. in Molecular Biology, Cellular Biology, Biochemistry or related discipline
- 2 years of laboratory experience
- Demonstrated experience in tissue culture, microscopy, molecular biology and protein purification
- Strong experience in tissue culture and molecular biology will be considered an asset
- Must be versatile, flexible and self-motivated
- Must possess exceptional communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) and be comfortable engaging and exchanging information with other members of the lab
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving abilities with strong attention to detail
- Experience with data management
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard software (e.g. LIMS, Microsoft Office Suite)
- Must demonstrate satisfactory work performance and attendance record
Posting open until April 10, 2017. We thank all candidates for applying. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with Institute’s policy and legislated health and safety requirements, employment is conditional upon the verification of credentials, completion of a health review, and demonstrating proof of immunity and vaccination status of vaccine-preventable diseases.
The Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute is a scent sensitive environment and all members of the community are expected to refrain from wearing or using scented products while visiting or working at the Institute. We also support a barrier-free workplace supported by the Institute’s accessibility plan, accommodation and disability management policies and procedures. Should you require accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, including accessible job postings, please contact the Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Human Resources Department.